Tuesday, May 8, 2007

This is part two of my Australian tale. Part two begins in Albury and ends in... Well we'll find out right?

I open my eyes at about 7:30 A.M. on Janes couch for the last time. 7:30 was a bit later then I desired but still early enough for me to be ambitious about the days ride. Carmen was awake sitting on the back porch smoking a cigarette. Albury is a hard place to leave, but emotionally and physically. I met some quality people here. And for the first time on my trip I felt like I was 19. I am 19. Drinking and smoking and not giving a damn about anything except for happiness through good times with good people. I ate some bread and peanut butter with a tall glass of water and I snuck out the front door trying not to wake Brendan up who slept on a mattress in the hallway.
The sun was shining as usual. I took a picture of the 606 house before I left which I later found out it didn't turn out either from getting baked in the 38*C sun or I don't know I screwed up something. heh. I fought my way through the maze of roads to find my way to the Hume highway. It took me at least an hour to get out of Albury. The Hume Highway is one of the main highways between Albury and Sydney. I was only on this highways a short time before I turned off onto the Olympic Highway, near tabletop mountain. I had a rough start on the Olympic highway as immediately there was an unrewarding steep hill fallowed by flat pavement and another sleep hill repeating about 3-4 times, pushing on and only thinking about my breathing and staring down so I didn't get discourage by what was ahead and me thinking that this hill or what Australia would call a mountain should give in at some point in my efforts and let me glide into a valley. It did, with a breathtaking view. Which I stopped to let this place soak in. This is why I was biking across Australia. Wallabies down the road a bit and a beautiful ranch on my right side with some gorgeous horses feeding on the little grass in the pasture and views of table top mountain in the distance. The bottom of this hill was unpaved and a brilliant red color. I am so happy I had a hybrid bike at this point as opposed to a road bike. A road bike wouldn't be able to handle this part too well. I continued on and a bit more down hill then a lot of flat surfaces. I stopped in Georgery, which is about halfway for the day's trip. Georgery was even smaller then Tungamah. I didn't ask the population but it had only a pub and an extremely small generally store or, as Ausy would call a Milk bar. They were selling Ms. Mac's meat pies which I though would be homemade but they weren't, I guess Ms. Mac is this evil corporate meat pie seller that didn't deserve to be eaten so I passed and chose the alternative of an organic "sustained energy" bar. Very delicious with heaps of water. Here I also refilled my camel back. I kicked back at an outside table. A man in a Ute pulled up. HE was the most gorgeous ideal Australian man I could imagine. Dirty jeans, cut off shirt, tan, hat, toned arms, dog, ughhhh. I silently planned out a fantasy future with him involving me calling home and telling everyone I got married to him and I wasn't coming back home. He walked back out of the store with a strawberry milk and drove off into the heat waves in the distance before he had a chance to propose to me. Oh well life moves on aye?

From Georgery I biked along side Country link railway still on the Olympic highway, which by American standards was nothing but a really long secondary road.

I arrived in cuclarin where Iw as quick to find the information center with grass overgrown and non existent anymore. So I went next door to the post office where they told me that no one really visited culcairn anyways, but that I should stay at the caravan park up the street and also to visit the community pool because I guess that was the thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment