Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Tasmania mania mania

Tasmania began where New South Wales and Victoria ended, the ocean. A short flight by my standards on a Virgin Blue plane from Sydney over endless water. It was hard to believe that something can navigate over a land mark that is always so unfamiliar. The destination was Lanceston, Tasmania a north easterly city on the island province of Tasmania. From the Lands edge to the airport and beyond there were mountains and rolling hills and valleys blanketed with greenery; lines, zig zags, and squiggley patterns carved into the earth like the part of a womans hair. Other parts were bald or patched up like an old handed down blanket; the patch a tragic scar that didn't blend in where some alien to this part of the world cleared out an area of trees and replaced them with unatural rows of a tree.
The Lanceston International airport wasn't much larger than the Sparta Airport a small private airport near my home. When I arrived, failed attempts to hitch hike led me to taking a shuttle bus into town. On the shuttle bus i met some boys whom i noticed were traveling with bike boxes, so considering what I have accomplished i was excited to hear about other biker experiences. The blokes were from a town outside of Melbourne and were going to ride from the norther tip of Tasmania to the bottom. This would be a challenging ride as there is a much higher concentration of Mountains and Hills in Tasmania. We arrived in town and we parted just as the story went with every other person I've met. It's kind of a let down talking to someone and knowing that you will not see this person for very long so therefore no intamate relationship is formed, only aquainted enough so it is still easy to say good-bye.
Lanceston was a nice sized english settled town. I had 3 hours kill before the bus for Derby was due to set off. I walked about the town realizing that I hadn't eaten anything that day, so i purchased a small amount of Trail Mix from the bulk section at a health food store. Later I decided to try my luck with panhandling. I had nothing to sell to them. But I hated begging with out something to give them in return. So i made a cutesy sign reading "Hug Therapy by Donation; 19 years of experience; Very Theraputic" But I could hardly get these people to even look at me, let alone smile. Thus I made no money panhandling.
Still starved after the unfulfilling trail mix, I torchered myself by walking in and out of bakeries trying to figure out if i would have enough money to get home if I bought something with the exchange rate. I went back to the train station trying not to let myself waste money on food. I knew I would eat tonight in Derby

No comments:

Post a Comment