Monday, May 7, 2007

shelter in sleep

In the Amazon rainforrest the Achuar and the Huaorani Indians hold a daily ritual, waking before the sun and sharing their dreams. In these tribes the dream isn't owned by the dreamer but by the tribe. The beleived that the dreamer is the vessel the dream chose to borrow to have a conversation with the rest of the tribe about their ancestors, gaia, the unieverse, and foreshadowing what's to come. The dream is what is real and it is their waking life that is falsehood.

the dreamer is a vessel for borrowwed thought, a collective notion, present in microscopic vibrations between dreamers. The dream state is most authentic becaues it demonstrates connection in bold relief. The waking state, being in isolation, in seperate rooms could be the imposter thus reality is the dream. -Lynn McTaggart, The Feild

I found this especially true as I traveled. I felt at home when I was asleep in a dream. For a few instances after I would wake up, if i kept my eyes closed I felt safe, sheltered, and comfortable. At this moment I could also create was was surrounding me behind my eye lids. For the first few weeks while I was traveling, in those moments when i woke with my eyes still shut, I would recreated my bedroom at the other side of my eyelids. But then I would open mye eys in shock. I would reassess the situation. Where am I? How did I get here? Why am I here? My body would be in shock. As my trip went on I would create new scapes beyond my eyelids, I was at home inside of myself. I was my own being. Sleep will always be familiar and forever my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment